Skip to main content

Mayflash Universal Adapter Review (PS3, 360, PC, PS2)

http://www.ms4r.com/image/cache/data/MayFlash/MAYFLASH_MF001_A-600x600.jpg
As to not let the waters get stale with game reviews, I, Aesop (yours truly), will be switching it up today with a product review. Namely: the Mayflash Universal Adaptor.

Now, if you're anything like me, when the ashes cleared and you grew out of The Great Console War, you came out with both the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360.  And if you're creepily like me, after prolonged play with both of them, you'll have noticed only 3 major differences: The exclusives, the payment (I'm looking at you Xbox Live), and the controllers. A little back story on me again: I grew up on Playstation. I didn't own anything other than Sony systems all the way up to the Nintendo DS Lite and I've owned every Sony gaming system. Now, you might be thinking, "What does this have to do with the review?" It actually has a lot to do with it. You see, the Mayflash Universal Adapter is an adapter that lets you use your preferred controller; whether it be Xbox, DaulShock 2, or DaulShock 3,  on your console of choice, be PS2, PS3, Xbox, or PC. This means all the time I spent in my younger days twiddling with Playstation's controller design, honing my mad skills, won't go to waste trying to re-learn on Xbox. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Xbox's controller. I'm a firm believer that both controllers have their strengths and weaknesses (that I intend to get to in this review as well), but as I said, I grew up on the Playstion so it's naturally my preference. Some key info you'll need before we start this: you'll need a wired Xbox controller (or any wired Xbox device including dance mats, steering wheels, etc.) for this to work either way. This is because even though Mayflash could simply copy the key Microsoft has in all it's controllers, it would create a possible lawsuit, so it HAS to be a wired controller of sorts. NOT including the Charge and Play Kit. All controllers must be wired , meaning you'll be using a USB for your PS3 controller. With that out of the way, lets do this review.

I can almost hear all my tech-ies out there saying "This is a nice concept, Aesop, but these things usually come with a lot of lag," and I'm right there with you. It was my first thought when I touched the (honestly pretty cheaply packaged) adapter. So I decided that the only way I could possibly make sure this thing REALLY worked was to put it through some good ol' Trials by Fire. So please, come with me to see whether the Mayflash Universal Adapter makes it through the devastating trials stronger than ever, or if it doesn't make it out at all.

TRIAL 1 (Trial of Speed) [Dualshock 3 Controller to Xbox 360 Console]


For the first Trial, I put the adapter through Ninja Gaiden II. Now, if you know anything about this game, you know it's a hard game that requires keen senses and even keener reactions, any input lag here and Ryu Hyabusa will end up real dead, real quick. Knowing this, I threw the game on Mentor Mode (one of the harder difficulties) and started it up. So far, it had worked fine (working the menus and such), but when I moved onto the real test, and I have to say: it worked BEAUTIFULLY! From the first severed limb, to the last decapitation, the controller played very fluently, so much so that I did even better than usual. Making it from the tutorial, to the first boss in under 20 minutes and beating the first boss in under 45 seconds (and that's being generous to the boss). The adapter didn't miss a beat and together we created a symphony of murderous Ninja-ism.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjrt8iPCJXYA3E0Igxbdj5wX1gimKqy1Ml7bOF9yYwBukMHM4ayXVkBYCvEphUsGgsxxst5EqgP5SQ9zKTKMXlXdXORTpNR6rbq8cGPKx5kL6Yk0xlGQFeP32RaNoqylya0_kYD7OQRfmU/s1600/ninja-gaiden-21.jpg
          
TRIAL 2 (Trial of Outer Connections) [Dualshock 3 Controller to Xbox 360 Console]

In the midst of my unnecessary and generally unprovoked bursts of violence, one sane thought came to mind, "What about online play?" So after the symphony ended, I took out Ninja Gaiden II and popped in Halo 4. I started it up, went to a game in Big Team Slayer, and again the controller played like a dream. Now allow me to directly contradict that: the controller was TERRIBLE. Okay, remember how  was talking about the controllers' strengths and weaknesses? Well, First Person Shooters are the Dualshocks greatest weakness. I'm not saying its impossible to play an FPS on the Dualshock; I used to completely maim in Killzone; but honestly, after playing Halo 4 with the Xbox controller, there's no going back. So to condense everything I said, the controller works fine online, but play FPS's on Xbox's controller when possible.


http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/4725/imageaxdpicture20122f72.jpg
                 

TRIAL 3 (Trial of Precision) [Xbox 360 Controller to Playstation 3 Console]

After getting out of the game in Halo (A soul crushing loss of 990 to 1000), I decided, "It worked wonderfully on Xbox, but what about PS3?" So I plugged the adapter into the PS3 to find out. After some serious debating with myself, I decided to play Persona 4 Arena for this trial. I mean, what better than a fighting game to test precision and reactions? I started up arcade mode on the hardest difficulty, chose my patented Teddie, and dove in. The controller was excellent but again every controller has its weaknesses. At this point, I'd like to give a shout out to all Xbox fighting game players who use the directional pad. How? You people are demons from another realm! I've never had hand cramps THAT bad! I couldn't get half of my moves out in the first 4 stages (I chalk that up to me sucking with the controller)! But the controller did work, and worked well. I only died about twice.

http://www.technologytell.com/gaming/files/2012/08/persona-4-arena-21.jpg


FINAL TRIAL (Trial of Inner Connections) [Xbox Controller to Playstation 3 Console]


Here at last, in the true final battle ground. I brought out all the stops. I thought about doing online battles in Persona 4 Arena, but with that God-tier netcode, it'd be far too easy to call it the final trial. So I enlisted an old friend, Super Street Fighter IV. Now, if you've played SSFIV online, you know it can be one of THE MOST lag ridden things on Earth. It took a while, but I found the lowest and worse blinking signal I could find (it was in Japan so I knew it was gonna be bad), and commenced the Final Trial! What I wasn't expecting, though, was to be playing a photo gallery. It felt like we were going frame by frame! I ended up losing and after the agonizing experience I can honestly say: it would have gone no better with a Dualshock. With that, we can move onto my final thoughts.

http://image.jeuxvideo.com/images/x3/s/u/super-street-fighter-iv-xbox-360-557.jpg


                                                          BONUS STAGE


Don't worry, this'll be short. I just needed to mention a few things. The adapter has on itself 3 buttons. The first of which being Turbo, that can be mapped to all buttons EXCEPT the shoulder buttons (R2,RT,L2,LT). It also has a home button, so if you're using a PS2 controller you can do the home button functions. Lastly, it has a clear button, which will reset any buttons set to turbo. Also, I don't have a PC or PS2, so that's why they aren't in this review. How am I writing this without a PC, you ask? Mysteries, mysteries.

Needless to say, the Mayflash Universal Adapter left my Trials in shambles, and now the women swoon at its every motion.  For single player,  to the laggiest of online play, there's no stopping this adapter. Whether you have a PS3, an Xbox, a PS2, or a PC, I think everyone can agree that certain controllers work better with certain games. That's the true beauty of this adapter. It gives you, as a gamer, a choice in what you want to use. There's no substituting that. Plus, for the price of 20 dollars, it's an amazing tool to have and I can recommend it to everyone. Follow my personal blog to see when my next review'll be up. Of course, follow Level One to see what the whole group is reviewing! Thanks for reading, and I hope to see you here again next time!

Visit Aesop at his blog, Average Gamer! http://averageaesop.blogspot.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Qanba Q4 RAF Review (PS3, 360, PC)

As someone whose been fairly big on fighting games for the past few years, I saw that it was finally time for me to get an arcade stick. I did some research, got recommendations, and my final choice was the Qanba Q4 Real Arcade Fightingstick. I thought that getting a stick would help me improve my skills and add a whole new experience to playing the game. While the choice in controller is all up to preference, the Qanba Q4 is definitely worth a look. I decided that, in order to see just how well the stick worked, I'd need to get the most precise inputs possible, and be able to make sure it had no input lag. So I started up my good buddy, Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus. Now, if you've ever played this game, you would know that it's near impossible to find any fighting game more mechanically advanced than it. Guilty Gear players are known for their incredibly precise inputs. To fully test the precision, I used 4 characters: Chipp, Jam, Potemkin, and Axl. Chip

Neon Alley Review (PS3, 360)

Well I am veering off into left field nowadays aren't I? First gaming products, now 24/7 anime stations; I promise to get back to actual GAMES soon but I felt like this was something I needed to talk about seeing as the next game I'll review comes with a free 30 day trial of this service. Today I'm gonna review Neon Alley. Whats that? You want more back story on me (said no one ever) ? Well I'm an otaku. Like a serious otaku. Like an "I signed up for a 24/7 anime station cause it was relevant to my interests," type of otaku. Now I have Netflix as I assume most of the civilized world does and I had recently watched all the anime I was interested in at the time when I heard about Neon Alley. My first thought was "So this is Crunchyroll?", but it's not. While Crunchyroll allows you to choose what you want to watch, Neon Alley is far more like TV. You have virtually no control. Another big difference is all the anime on Neon Alley is DUBBED. Now t